Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Faux Bois Animal Ornaments


Today I'm sharing a tutorial for these fun faux bois animal ornaments; I have to say, these have been one of my favorite projects in quite a while! I am not quite done decorating our house yet; I have done quite a bit but haven't set up either tree yet. I'm planning to put these on the tree in the living room; I'm going for a forest-inspired look and these will be perfect!
 
 

 
I knew I wanted some woodland animal ornaments for the tree; the idea for these was inspired by the faux bois stamp I found in the clearance bin at Michael's and  these adorable cookie cutters from Ikea. They were really easy to make!
 
I did not get any good photos for the process, but it's pretty self-explanatory. You need: a wood grain stamp, cookie cutters, Sculpey, and a stick or toothpick.  I originally tried using air-dry clay but it didn't stamp or cut out as cleanly. The Sculpey was much easier to work with, and the finished ornaments are pretty sturdy. My two year old has been playing with them and hasn't managed to destroy one yet :). I used a 1.75 pound box of Sculpey and got about 25 ornaments out of it.
 
Start by rolling out the Sculpey to about 1/4"; I rolled it in small portions, making 1 large or 2 small ornaments at a time. Then, stamp the surface to create the wood grain effect 9{you have to press down pretty hard}. Then, cut out the shapes. I ran an offset spatula under the clay to get each ornament off the counter. Use the toothpick to make a little hole at the top to hang the ornament. Bake on cookie sheets covered with parchment according to the package instructions.
 
 
 

I am pretty much in love with these! I am planning to mix them with some glittery pinecones, birds, some terrarium-inspired ornaments, mercury glass, and some type of garland TBD. 


 


 

 

Thanks so much for reading! 
 

2 comments:

  1. How cute!! Now I'm re-thinking my tree...ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I'm a huge fan of faux bois! I love them!

    ReplyDelete