Saturday, November 29, 2014

Simple Envelope Advent Calendar



 
One of the little Christmas projects I wanted to do this year was to make an Advent calendar. This one came about because my initial vision ended up being a total fail, and this envelope version is what I came up with using the supplies that I had on hand. Actually, I think it turned out even better! Don't you love when that happens?
 
 
I knew I wanted something to cover this chalkboard wall in the girls' little play area, and since I have a very curious 1 year old and 2 year old, I knew that anything with hanging ornaments or wrapped packages wasn't going to work! I had tons of envelopes laying around, so this envelope garland idea was perfect, and simple to make.
 
 

 
I just used 25 cream envelopes. For each one, I punched holes to tie it closed (I wanted to be able to open the envelope after sewing it to the garland, so I oriented the envelopes upside down). I just stamped the numbers on each one, then tied them closed with some fun twine. Inside each envelope, I wrote down a little activity that we'll do that day, such as baking cookies, cutting down the Christmas tree, visiting Santa, making Christmas cards, etc. Then, I just cut lengths of double-fold bias quilt binding, pinned the envelopes on, and sewed them.
 

Their little area is starting to look festive! For the past few years, I've done neutral colors in this room for Christmas, but now that it's serving as more of a playroom, I decided to add some red. I'm very excited to finish decorating the rest of the room!
 


 


 
Happy Saturday~ I will be back on Monday with some pictures of baby Claire's nursery all decorated for Christmas!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment