Thursday, November 20, 2014

DIY Plaid Infinity Scarf

 
 
 
I am loving plaid lately! It seems like it is everywhere this year. I really wanted a plaid infinity scarf this fall, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in stores, so I decided to make my own. Seriously, this was the easiest DIY project ever, cost about $5 to make, and turned out so cute!! I actually ended up buying a bunch of different plaid fabrics and whipping up a bunch of these infinity scarves to give as Christmas gifts for the ladies in my family. I have a big family and the adults all draw names for Secret Santa, but I still like to give a little stocking stuffer type gift and these will be perfect.
 

 

All you need for these is 2 1/4 yards of plaid flannel fabric and basic sewing supplies. I like a longer, more generously sized scarf, so 2 1/4 yards was perfect (you'll cut that in half and get two scarves out of it). I used flannel shirting that I got at Joann.
 

First, press your fabric and cut in half lengthwise. Fold your fabric in half lengthwise again, pin, and sew along the long edge with a 1/2" seam.
 


Turn your fabric right side out. You should be left with a tube of fabric with both ends open. Match the ends and begin to sew the ends together to close; just match up as you sew. Keep going as far as you can on the machine; you should be left with about a 2" opening.



Now, you can either sew the rest with an outside seam on the sewing machine (I did this for my own scarf, since I figured I could put that seam on the inside where you wouldn't see it) or sew by hand (I did this for the gifts since it looks a bit more nicely finished). 



Voila, you're done!
 

 
 
I am so excited about how these turned out! Now I just have to figure out who gets what plaid...
 
I kept this one for myself!

 
 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great idea, Hayley! Maybe I could whip up a couple of these...next year sometime.

    ReplyDelete