Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Painted Grainsack Fabric Tutorial

 


 
The last few weeks, I've been working on a makeover of our master bedroom- nothing drastic, just some new bedding and a few new accessories to brighten up the room. I'll share pictures of the full room later this week, but first I wanted to share a little DIY project I did to recover this antique chair that's in the room. I love this chair- it's one of my mom's finds that she passed down to me when I moved into my first apartment. It was covered in a green toile, then I recovered it with brown velvet to match the bedroom, but I never liked like the fabric with the chair- it was too monochromatic. I wanted something lighter, with blue to go with the color scheme in here; I would have loved to use a real antique grainsack but that's just not in my budget right now! So I made my own, using fabric paint. I'm really happy with how it turned out!
 
 
 
I'm going to share a quick tutorial, although this was such an easy project I'm not sure it's really needed!
 
The materials I used were: an Annenburg cotton fabric, dark blue craft paint, fabric medium, painter's tape, brush, and staple gun.
 
 
First, I taped off the center stripe and painted it with the paint mixed with fabric medium. I didn't fully cover the fabric with paint, since I wanted an aged look.
 

After the center stripe dried, I taped off and painted the thin stripes on the side.
 


I washed, dried, and ironed the finished fabric, then stapled it on to the chair seat. You can see the ugly original fabric beneath all the layers!
 


Finished product...
 

 
 
I think the new fabric is a huge improvement and I'm really happy with how the chair looks in the room now!
 


 
I'll be back on Thursday with some photos of the newly made-over master bedroom!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This little detailing makes such a big difference! Love, love, love!
    Now I can hardly wait to see the rest of the room.

    Allison
    {slippersbyday.blogspot.ca}

    ReplyDelete