Monday, June 24, 2013

Strawberry and Blueberry Dutch Baby

 
If you've never made a Dutch baby before, now is the time to try one! I actually had not had one of these in years but I saw a delicious looking recipe on Pinterest for a blueberry one that I had to try. Well, they're fabulous!! A Dutch baby is sort of like a puffed-up crepe (I remember the recipe in my Betty Crocker kid's cookbook called it a Big Puffy Pancake). It can be served plain but I think the addition of fruit really makes it something special. I initially tried the recipe with just strawberries, which was wonderful, but I added blueberries as a nod to the Fourth of July. Next time, I think I'm going to try it with peaches- although blackberries, apples, or pears sound yummy too.
 
I liked this recipe because it's much easier and lower maintenance that regular pancakes- just pour the batter into your skillet and pop it into the oven, and you're done. This would be a perfect breakfast or brunch dish for guests. All you really need is some bacon and additional fruit and you're good to go.
 
 


Strawberry and Blueberry Dutch Baby

Recipe Adapted from Always with Butter
 
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup sliced strawberries
1/4 cup blueberries
Powdered sugar
 
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Lightly butter a 12 inch cast iron skillet.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir in the flour and salt and whisk together well (whisk out all lumps). Quickly whisk in butter.
4. Pour the batter into the skillet. Sprinkle the berries evenly over the top.
5. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes without opening the oven door. Reduce heat to 325 and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve immediately.
 






 
 
Linking up with....


4 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I'm pinning this & hoping to try soon! I'm stopping by from Give Me The Goods Monday. Would you mind to link this up to my Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop? Our readers would love to see this! Thanks!
    http://carriethishome.com/2013/06/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-29/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this looks yummy! I'd love to try this on a special weekend morning.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for a dessert type breakfast so I will have to try this! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier! I really like your simple blog design here. It is really pretty.
    Corey from www.tinysidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds soooo delish! Thanks for linking up to Give Me the Goods Monday! Love having you party with us! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete