Tuesday, June 11, 2013

New Baby Essentials

It is hard to believe that in less than 4 months, we will have a newborn in the house again! I am also going to be an aunt for the first time very soon- my sister is due with her little girl in less than a month!!! So excited! I am starting to think about getting things ready for baby #2 and also helped my sister with her registry a few months back. All of the baby gear and stuff can be so overwhelming! I was always grateful for advice from my experienced mom friends, so I thought I'd put in my two cents as well.

Obviously this isn't a complete list, just some of my very, very favorite things that I found incredibly helpful as a new mom!
 
1. Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper Mini: We decided that Allie would sleep in our room early on. It seemed so much more convenient for night feedings and I knew that I would want her close by! We debated lots of options, but went with this co-sleeper and it was great. It was so EASY for nighttime nursing, and I loved that I didn't even have to sit up in bed to check on her {if she was still breathing}- just reach my arm over...let's face it, in those early days, you need to conserve all the energy you can! We transitioned Allie into her crib in her room when she was 4 months old and it went very smoothly.
 
2. Homedics Sound Spa Sound Mini Sound Machine: Trust me, you need a white noise machine! We all got better sleep with this- it soothed Allie and it blocked out some of her newborn squeaks and sounds so that we slept better too.
 
3. Tweezerman Baby Nail Scissors:After my first attempt at cutting my daughter's nails with those awful clippers and drawing blood, my mom told me to go get some nail scissors. She did know best! These are SO much better than the clippers! They are great quality so will last as well.
 
4. Frame Stroller: This is the way to go in the early months. We have the City Mini stroller as well that we started using at 5-6 months, but the frame stroller was much easier early on. It cost roughly the same as the infant attachment for the other stroller would have, and was much easier to use. This stroller is also great if you'll be flying with your little one, since you'll be able to use your carseat with it.
 
5. Triple Paste: It works! Fast!
 
6. Fisher Price My Little Snugabunny Cradle Swing: Honestly, if there was one baby gear item I couldn't have lived without, this would be it. It's worth its weight in gold. On multiple occasions, this swing was the only way Allie would take a nap or fall asleep. This one is great because it swings either back and forth or side to side, and has a cord to plug in so you don't run through batteries.
 
7. The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD: This is a wonderful DVD to watch before your baby arrives! Very simple advice but it really does work wonders. I was so glad to have some tricks up my sleeve when my newborn was crying!
 
8. Halo Sleepsack Swaddle: Allie really did sleep so much better when she was swaddled, but from the beginning she could kick and arm her way out of any other swaddle (the day she was born, she broke loose from the nurse's swaddling job!). These sleepsacks are great for swaddling your baby up tight, and I appreciated that you don't have to totally unwrap them for middle of the night diaper changes like you would with a blanket.
 
9. Baby Connect App: This was so helpful in the early months, to track feeding and sleeping. For nursing, you can track which side and for how long baby fed with a timer. It has tons of other features too and multiple people can log in to use it.
 
10. Mom's One Line a Day: A Five Year Memory Book: I have one of these for Allie and will get one for Claire as well. I love that I can write silly little things she did or special things from the day that wouldn't necessarily make it into the baby book.
 
11. Beco Gemini Carrier: I did a lot of research on carriers before deciding on this one. The hugest deciding point was that it's the only ergonomic carrier where the baby can face out (other forward facing carriers have the baby sitting in a way that strains their hips). It is super comfortable to wear and easy to put on by yourself. It comes in a ton of cute patterns and colors as well (we have the Foxie).
 
12. Avent Soothies Pacifiers: I think I bought these in bulk at one point! I know some advice says to wait to use pacifiers if you're breastfeeding, but Allie had one right away and it was never an issue. She used a paci for soothing and to fall asleep in the first few months {then at around 4 months, she just wanted nothing more to do with it}. This was the only type of paci she would ever use. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment