Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Happy Summer! Picnic Potato Salad

 

Wow, it has been quite a while since my last post here! I do have a good excuse- I found out in February that we are expecting baby #2 in early October! It was a big {amazing} surprise! The first few months of the pregnancy were rough, handling morning sickness with a toddler did not leave me with energy for anything, especially blogging. Then we were dealing with a job change for my husband and a lot of traveling....and I've just gotten around to posting again.
 
Summer is here! I'm really looking forward to this summer: Allie is at such a fun age, old enough to enjoy all the summer fun. Last weekend, she got to enjoy her first BBQ of the season. Since we don't have a patio, we just spread out a blanket and had a backyard picnic. We grilled cheeseburgers and corn, and I made my mom's potato salad. Honestly, my mom makes the best potato salad in the world! It is amazing! Even though whenever I make this, it never tastes quite as delicious as my mom's, I wanted to share the recipe because it's awesome. It's perfect for summer and it's even more yummy if you make it a day ahead (or as leftovers)!
 




 
      
 Picnic Potato Salad
 
Makes 10-12 servings
 
5 pounds russet potatoes
1 bunch of radishes, halved and thinly sliced
6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 bunch of chives, chopped
For dressing:
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
3-4 tablespoons horseradish (to taste)
2 teaspoons celery seed
Salt and pepper
 
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into bite size pieces. Boil until fork-tender but not falling apart. Drain and let cool in colander.
2. Make the dressing: in a large bowl, whisk together the ingredients. Taste, and adjust the amount of horseradish, salt, and pepper to taste.
3. Add the potatoes, radishes, eggs, and chives to a large serving bowl. Pour most of the dressing over the top (reserve about 1/3 of the dressing). Toss together until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
4. Before serving, add the remaining dressing to the salad.
Enjoy!
 




2 comments:

  1. Hayley, congratulations! The potato salad sounds wonderful and it's really different from mine. Sour cream, horseradish, dijon mustard, and celery seed are all different...I guess mine is pretty basic. I'll definitely try it.

    Your daughter is precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That potato salad looks really good! Glad to see you're writing again. It's wonderful when you start to feel normal again during pregnancy. :)Can't wait for October!

    ReplyDelete