Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Valentine's Stamped Muslin Gift Bags

 I'm back from a wonderful weekend, visiting my family and celebrating Allie's first birthday! I think her party looked adorable and everyone had a great time- I took a million pictures and will share all the decor in the next week or two.
 
I'm usually not a big Valentine's Day person, but this year I've gotten a bit more into it and done a couple of little crafts, mostly as gifts. I made these stamped muslin bags last week. I found a bunch of pretty Valentine's stamps at Michael's on clearance for less than a dollar each and wanted to do some kind of craft with them. I decided to sew up some little muslin bags, then try stamping the fabric using ink. I wasn't sure if it would work but it did! The finished result isn't perfect but I still think they're pretty cute. I'm glad to know this technique works, because you could make gift bags for so many other holidays...I'm thinking they would be perfect for shower or party favors too.




 

Stamped Muslin Gift Bags

You'll need:
Muslin Bags (you can buy these online but I just sewed mine)
Stamps
Ink (I used the ColorBox brand)
Iron
 
 
1. Stamp your designs on the bags.
2. Let the ink set for about an hour.
3. Heat iron to medium heat setting. Carefully place the iron on top of the stamped part of the bag for about 20 seconds to set the ink. (Don't move the iron around or the ink will smear- just press it in place).
4. I let my bags sit for another hour or so. Next, wash them (no soap) on the gentlest washer setting with cold water, then dry.
 
I found that after ironing and washing, the ink was pretty permanant and it did not run during the washing. (Honestly I was fully expecting to pull a pink mess out of my washer)!

 
I filled my bags with little treats.
 
 
This one was my favorite!
 
 
Linking up with...
Shabby Creek Cottage // Craftberry Bush // Stone Gable // Jennifer Rizzo

4 comments:

  1. These are so sweet! I love how the stamps give them such a fun and personal touch! Thanks for sharing at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute idea, I love that last one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice muslin gift bags. I like this design very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these - so simple but sweet.

    I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive - we're focusing on all sorts of hand made bags this week, Alice x

    ReplyDelete