Thursday, January 17, 2013

Our Organized and Pretty Linen Closet

 
Like everyone else, I've been taking the first few weeks of 2013 to do some organizing around our house. I wanted to tackle a few areas that were consistently messy and just weren't working for us. I think that if a certain area is not staying organized, then it probably needs some tweaking or a new system to keep things in order. I decided to tackle the linen closet first since it was a small and quick project.
 
The linen closet is in the hallway; we use it mainly to store items for the hall {and only full} bath. (I keep bedding in the bedrooms). The shelves are not very deep, so every time I opened the doors, stuff came tumbling off of all the shelves. I had some things in big baskets, but it was just a jumble and it was impossible to find anything. So my main goal was to make everything more easily accessible, but also make it pretty. I am a firm believer that when things look pretty, you are much more likely to keep it up, so it stays looking pretty. I know I am, anyway.

 
The first thing I did was take everything out of the closet and go through everything, throwing unneeded stuff away and moving some things to other places to make room. I then put everything back, using containers I had to organize.  The only new things I needed were the two white boxes (they are photo boxes from Michael's that are on sale for $2 right now).

 
First, I was able to save some space on a shelf by adding a hook to the inside of the door for bathrobes. I stacked bath towels on one side of the bottom shelf, then put the hand towels and washcloths in a basket so that I can grab one without going through the whole pile.


These two middle shelves hold various stuff: the white basket holds my brushes and various curling irons and blow dryers. I set out toiletries for the hall bath on a tray and in a basket- having them visible makes it easier for me to see when we're running low on something. The white boxes hold first aid stuff and medicines. With an almost toddler in the house, I wanted those items to be firmly out of reach.



For the spare pillows on the top shelf,  I folded and tied them with some fabric ribbon so that they will fit without falling down.
 



 
After about an hour of purging and tweaking, I had my pretty new linen closet. I don't know about you, but I find a newly organized space hugely satisfying. And after about two weeks, the closet is staying nice and neat! Success!
 
Next on the list: the coat closet, my craft supplies, my closet, and...the attic. Seriously, if anyone saw what my attic looks like right now I would die. It will be a multi-weekend project.


Linking up with

5 comments:

  1. It looks great! I spent all day organizing and cleaning out the pantry and refrigerator. It's like early spring cleaning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look fabulous! Thanks so much for stopping by my place and for your kind comment on my Valentine's mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are way ahead of me, Hayley!
    It always feels good to see organization take the place of chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great. i love the fresh clean looks and those wire baskets are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hayley, I'm visiting from the Shabby Creek Cottage. I like your idea of folding and tying the pillows. Your closet looks great. And at least you "have" an attic. I'd love to have that extra space! I hope you have a great weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete