Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Laundry Room Makeover

  
I am lucky that there is no statute of limitations on blog posts, because this post is way overdue. We actually did this most of this project last summer but I never got around to posting it. I did recently move some things around in here though, so my offical story is that we just finished tweaking everything and now the room is ready to share.
 


 
The awful before pictures. The laundry room is actually a good size and is right off of our family room, but it had some pretty unfortunate features. As you can see in the picture above, it also houses the hot water heater and furnace, along with ducts, electrical wires, and pipes. Not cute. The wall behind the washer and dryer is actually open at the bottom to the crawl space under the house, so in addition to looking at cords, plugs, and water pipes, you could see the floor stop and turn into a giant dusty hole. Along with three concrete steps that seem to go up to the kitchen, except there's a wall there. It also lacked any storage or counter space other than a wire utility shelf and the washer and dryer tops.
 
 After: much better!
 
My main priorities for this space were to try to conceal and cover all the {functional} ugliness , as well as add some more storage and a countertop over the washer and dryer while sticking to a small budget. As we made the changes, I realized that with the counter and new storage space, this room could also be functional as a sewing and craft space. Huge bonus!
 





 

 
The first thing we did was move the metal shelf unit to the garage and replace it with brackets and white shelves from Ikea. We actually already had these: they used to be in what is now Allie's room.
 
 
We (well, Phil) put in the countertop. It is a  piece of laminated plywood that we bought at Home Depot and had cut to measure. It is held up by wooden braces on both ends and the edges with finished with some trim. In total we only spent about $50 to add the countertop and I cannot tell you how much more functional it has made this room.

The next step was hanging curtains. Lots and lots of curtains! All the curtains are made from dropcloth the I cut and hemmed to size. The shelves above the washer and dryer are recessed slightly from the wall, so I was able to hang a curtain rod from the bottom of the shelves and run curtains along the length to conceal all the electrical wiring behind the washer and dryer.

                          

 
I also added a tension rod and a curtain to cover the area under the counter (it is open to the crawl space). I the space behind the curtain to store my craft supplies and sewing machine.
 
 
On the other side of the laundry room, we hung a thin wire curtain rod from Ikea the length of the room to create a "closet" for the heaters, vaccuum, etc. (We made sure there was the correct amount of clearance between the curtains and the heater). As an added bonus, the wire also works as an indoor clothesline.
 
 
 
 
I found this fabric shade at Ikea and I thought it would perfect in here.
 
 
 
On this side of the room, I painted a metal duct with gray chalkboard paint. I use this chalkboard to keep track of weekly chores.
 
 
The last step was adding some attractive storage. A big jar for laundry soap along with a vintage tart tin as a scoop on the counter.

 

 
 
 

The apple basket serves as a caddy with all my cleaning supplies.

 
I am so happy with the changes in this room!! I love that we were able to create a newly usable and functional space within our house. Doing laundry is so much easier now that I have drying and folding space. I also was so excited to have a counter out of the way for sewing and doing projects, as well as storage all in one spot. And with the exponential increase in laundry that Allie has brought to our home, I am glad that at least I have somewhere pretty to do it all.
 
 
 
 
 
Linking up with...
 
 
                               
 
 
 


 

13 comments:

  1. Your laundry room is just darling! I saw that shade at Ikea as well and contemplated it but was afraid there would not be enough light in our laundry room. Now I am trying to figure where else I could use it cause it is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! so functional, but with nice decorative touches, too. Aren't drop cloth curtains great? And I love the chalk board wall for chores--great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! What a great idea to add drop cloth curtains to cover all non-pretty stuff. I love all your sweet touches too. Congrats on that beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great re-do of such an important room:) I need to paint and reorganize mine.. I'm working on the family room currently (so tired of painting!)

    leslie
    www.trouverlesoleil.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job Hayley! I love it! Wish I had a beautiful laundry room like yours! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always drawn to pictures of redone laundry rooms, I guess because mine are in the garage, I don't complain though because they used to be in the basement! You both did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to mention that I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Found you on the Happy Hour linky party-your laundry room is adorable! I love it, it makes me want to go and just hang out in there. I think if I had your laundry room...I might, and emphasize MIGHT like doing laundry a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I wish I had a room like this for space. I am getting ready to re-do my laundry closet!
    I just started a new link party and would love if you would come on over and share your post or social media sites. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party4/

    DeDe@DesignedDecor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Hayley

    I love your transformation. Looks so great and I love the wire baskets too. Where did you find them at? Love to get some like those. Found your lovely blog at Design link party. Enjoyed looking around your lovely blog and I am a new follower. Love for you to stop by www.homesweetbutterfly.com

    Hugs,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I got the wire baskets at Home Goods. I stopped by your blog and am a new follower- you have so many great craft ideas!

      Delete
  11. Your laundry room looks great! I love how you hid the necessary but not so pretty behind fabric. Your fun storage containers add lots of style too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the light and tried to get one from IKEA for a lamp but it would not work. Also love your "clothes line! I am looking for ideas for a laundry room redo and I will use that! too cute!

    ReplyDelete