Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas Family Room

 
 
 
 
 
 Welcome to our Christmas family room! This is the room in our home where we spend most of our time. I decided to go for a very warm and cozy feeling in this room, using neutral colors and lots of rustic touches.
 
The tree is decorating with entirely handmade ornaments this year: simple and safe for curious baby hands! I think my silhouette ornaments of Phil, Allie, Max, and I are definitely the highlight of this tree (find the tutorial here). I also added some muslin rag balls, embroidery hoops with black and white gingham and cream cableknit fabric, some old tart tins strung onto twine, little chalkboards, and some pinecones from the yard. All topped with a simple plaid bow.
 
 
 

 
I added a boxwood wreath to our chalkboard wall in Allie's play area, as well as a buffalo check pillow.

 
My desk area had to get a little something too: some fresh cedar and a little garland with photo tags of my favorite pictures of Allie from the past year.


 
On the other side of the room, I turned the top of our low bookshelves into a faux mantle. Instead of hanging stockings, I made a simple Advent calendar using white paper bags, chalkboard labels I found at Michael's, and clothespins. Each bag contains a Scripture reading and reflection (as well as a few treats!). We'll hang our stockings here on Christmas Eve.
 


I added a homemade ruffle wreath made of dropcloth to the mirror, as well as some simple cone trees and more fresh cedar.
 


 
I'll post a tutorial for the cone trees in the next few days (I made more for Allie's room!)
 

 
 I kept this side table simple, since this is Allie's favorite hangout, I couldn't add much! I printed and framed this cute chalkboard print from Nest of Posies. I've put Christmas cards we've recieved into a little zinc planter- Allie LOVES looking at all the pictures of our friends' kids.
 
 
I do just love a Christmas tree glowing at night!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment