Thursday, October 13, 2011

Peanut Butter Cookies



These cookies are one of the first things I ever learned to make, when I was around 11. I used the recipe from my mom's Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. I still bake these cookies quite often, although I've made a few of my own tweaks to the recipe over the years. I roll the cookie dough is crushed peanuts; it gives the cookies extra crunch and a hint of saltiness.


Peanut Butter Cookies


Makes 3 dozen cookies

1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (preferably Skippy)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for outside of cookies
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts, crushed

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In bowl of mixer, cream together butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add the sugars, baking powder, and baking soda and mix until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla, mix, scraping down sides of the bowl. Add flour and mix on low until well combined.
4. Roll dough into balls (whatever size cookie you want- I like a bigger cookie with crispy edges and a soft middle), then roll in the crushed peanuts, then sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Press down each cookie with tines of a fork. Bake for 7-10 minutes, until just golden brown at edges. Cool on wire rack.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment