The ingredients in this pasta sound like an odd combination, but it is sooo delicious. This pasta has lots of great fall flavors with the mushrooms, pumpkin, and sage.
Rigatoni with Sausage, Mushrooms, and PumpkinMakes 4-6 servings
1 pound rigatoni or penne pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 package baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
1/4 pound shitake mushrooms, sliced (caps only)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup red or white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1 14-ounce can of pumpkin puree (the unseasoned kind, not the pie filling)
1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of cinnamon
Salt and pepper
Parmiggiano-Reggiano cheese, for topping
1. Bring water to boil in large pot for pasta. Cook pasta al dente and drain.
2. While pasta water is boiling, crumble the sausage into a large pan. Cook over medium-high until well-browned. Remove from pot with slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Drain any sausage drippings from pan and discard. Add the olive oil to pan over medium-high. Add the garlic, onion, and mushrooms; sautee until mushrooms are well-browned. Add the sausage back into the pan.
4. Add the wine and deglaze the pan for about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and cook until bubbling. Stir in the pumpkin, then add the cream, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste. Let sauce simmer over medium-low until pasta is done.
5. Toss cooked pasta and sauce together. Serve topped with freshly grated cheese.