Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tzatziki


 I absolutely love tzatziki. I could put it on everything- Greek meatballs, pita bread, lamb, other veggies. Actually, I could probably just grab a fork and eat it all by itself. I love how refreshing it is, and even though you're getting all that creaminess, it's healthy. I make my tzatziki with Greek yogurt; it's so much tastier that way. I use just a touch of sour cream as well, along with tons of cucumber and dill, and some lemon and vinegar for acidity. Tzatziki is best if you make it a few hours or a day ahead of time so the flavors can meld together.



 Tzatziki

Recipe adapted from The Barefoot Contessa on Food Network
Makes about 1 1/2 cups

1/2 seedless English cucumber
1 clove of garlic
8 oz. Greek yogurt (2% or full-fat)
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
1 tablespoon chopped mint or parsley
Salt and pepper

1. If you wish, peel the cucumber. Grate, and place in a paper towel or cheesecloth; squeeze out the liquid. Place cucumber in a bowl.
2. Peel and mince the garlic. Sprinkle with a little sea salt, and crush together with the flat side of a knife to make a paste. Add to the cucumber.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment