These lemon biscotti are a great summer cookie: light, not too sweet, and with a nice citrus flavor. They have almonds in them as well which add a nice crunch. Biscotti are actually very easy to make. You first form the dough into logs and bake those, then slice them and bake again. They're even faster than a drop cookie.
Lemon Almond Biscotti
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
1 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a baking sheet or line with parchment.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
3. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping bowl in between. Add the lemon zest and lemon extract. Beat in all but 1/2 cup of flour.
4. Toss almonds with remaining flour and stir into dough with a wooden spoon.
5. Divide dough in half. With floured hands, shape each piece into 12 inch x 2 inch log on baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and firm in center. Remove pan from oven (don't turn off heat) and cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet.
6. Slide logs onto cutting board. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Place slices on baking sheet. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, turning over halfway through. Cool on racks.