Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Shrimp Risotto

I sometimes get food ideas from very bizarre sources-TV shows, books, movies.  I was joking with Phil the other night that I want to make a Seinfeld- themed meal of Crab Bisque (from the soup Nazi episode), marble rye, and chocolate babka. There's also that episode where the girl tells George she's very full from the risotto. Actually, this gives me some interesting ideas for future blog entries...
But this recipe was inspired by a book I was reading where a character made shrimp risotto for dinner, and it just sounded really good to me. I didn't have a recipe, so I just winged it by adding a shrimp recipe I make to a basic risotto. It was very delicious! And I must note, in all fairness to my new city, that while our Mexican grocery selection is pathetic, the Italian section of my store put Texas to shame. I used an imported Italian arborio rice that they had, and the texture and taste is much better than the kinds I've used in the past.


 

Shrimp Risotto

Serves 4

4 cups of chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely diced shallot (or yellow onion)
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
Salt and pepper
Recipe of Shrimp in Lemon Butter, below

1. In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer. Keep hot over low heat.
2. In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and sautee until tender and slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat with butter. Add the wine and simmer until the wine has almost completely evaporated, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking the rice, adding the broth about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and adding the liquid to absorb before adding more liquid, until the rice is tender but still al dente and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes total. Remove from heat.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Portion risotto into bowls, and top with shrimp in lemon butter.

Shrimp in Lemon Butter

1 lb. of shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Splash of white wine (optional)
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
4 tablespoons butter

1. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sautee for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook, turning as necessary, until opaque and cooked through. Add the wine and cook off, about 1 minute.
2. Remove from heat, and stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment