Lemon MadeleinesRecipe from Martha Stewart Baking Handbook
1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for pans
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
1/2 cup finely ground blanched almonds
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon pure lemon extract
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Set aside to cool.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ground almonds, and sugar; set aside.
3. Add the lemon zest and extract to the cooled butter; stir to combine.
4. In a large bowl, combine the eggs and salt. Whisk until frothy.
5. Whisk in reserved flour mixture. With whisk, fold in the butter mixture. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
6. Preheat the oven to 350. Butter a 12 mold madeleine pan (this makes 24 cookies, but I only had one pan so I had to make two separate batches) and dust with flour; tap out excess. Transfer batter to large baggie with 1/2 inch hole cut in the tip; pipe the batter into the prepared pan, filling each mold about halfway.
7. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until the edges of the cake are golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Immediately invert madeleines onto a wire rack to cool. (If they don't pop out of the molds easily, gently run a knife underneath each cookie). They should be served the same day they are baked.